< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cats Aren't Vegan...


Did you know that PETA has announced that Andre 3000 and Alicia Silverstone were voted the ‘World’s Sexiest Vegetarians’? I don’t really care. I was just wondering if you were aware of it. PETA also has the “Make-Out Tour” which is a public display of two people provocatively dressed. They also lie on an air bed and make out in public. Sex sells and it looks like PETA has their own ‘meat market’. Ahem, so to speak. I wonder who their public relations person is.

I am not vegetarian. I love vegetables and can eat a 100% veggie meal, especially when the weather is hot. However, yesterday I opted to make myself a tuna salad for lunch. By the way, I would like to talk to Gary England about our current weather and when this dry spell is going to break.

So what has gotten me on this train of thought? Questions. I just seem to have unanswerable questions that the search engines can’t provide answers to. For example, some vegetarians have this thing about butchering animals, but they don’t have a problem with carnivorous animals. I don’t have any numbers here, but it seems that a lot of vegans like and own cats. How do they feel internally when they open that can of tuna for their cat? (You did know that cats are 100% carnivorous creatures.) PETA also has a lot of pictures of animals being butchered and what not. I wonder if they look at pictures of people who have been eaten by sharks? (warning: if you have a weak stomach this link is graphic)

There are also people who are against hunting and such. Deer populations have gotten out of control in some areas of the country. A solution that some have offered is the re-introduction of predatory animals into the deer habitat. These people don’t want the deer hunted by sportsmen; they want them to be hunted by other wild animals. That just seems odd to me. Doesn’t it to you?

Most folks think that deer are wonderful animals. For the most part they are, and beautiful at that; but they carry zoonotic diseases transmissible by ticks and cause over one billion dollars annually in automobile damages nation-wide. This isn’t counting injuries and the loss of lives that occur on the highways by deer populations. Some states have such a big problem that they try to educate the public. I don’t know about you but I think my car insurance rates are high enough as it is; and I believe that most of the vegetarian and animal rights populations drive cars too, don’t you?

People are vegetarians for a variety of reasons and, contrary to popular belief, not all of them are PETA members. Other than religious reasons, I don’t truly understand the compulsion behind someone becoming a vegetarian. Vegetarians have to be very careful with their diets and make sure that they receive the nutrients that are necessary for our human bodies to work. Colobalamin (B-12) is a requirement for human life and wellness. According to the Centers for Disease Control, “the only reliable unfortified sources are animal products, including meat, dairy products, and eggs”. The CDC also publishes the Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Review. There is a report that talks about failure to thrive children with irreversible neurological impairment which was caused by their mothers’ vegetarian diets. I wonder how the vegetarian mothers of these children deal with this.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I don’t dislike people just because they are vegetarian. It just makes me wonder about a lot of things.

later…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home