< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Don't Eat Your Seed...

Well, the tomatoes have about played out. The okra is still going strong though and it doesn’t look like it is going to slow down too soon. The okra is tall and this rain is sure making it grow taller. Carrie is standing in the middle of the okra and she is 5’4”. Oh yeah, and for those of you who are jalapeno lovers: that plant is going strong and producing just as many jalapenos as ever!

Sue was able to get the zucchini seed put out and it looks like it is ‘very happy’. Soon we will have zucchini squash to eat! Sue had also planted some cucumber several weeks ago. She is going to have a LOT of cucumbers soon!

I have left some pods on the okra plants to mature. It will be our seed for next year. A good thing about okra is that once you’ve committed to letting it go to seed you can’t eat it. Otherwise, one could be tempted to eat their next year’s crop!

I got a phone call from one of my foster kids last night. She is grown-up now and has kids. She was telling me about her latest addition. She had a little boy and she sounded like she was very happy. I am so glad to hear that.

She also shared some news about another one of my foster children. It was sad news. It seems that one of ‘my kids’ is in prison serving time because of drugs. This kid had always kept in touch. She would either stop by to visit or call, but I hadn’t heard from her in about two years. I had wondered if something bad had happened. I am not one to put much weight in hearsay so I looked it up. Sure enough, her mug shot is there along with the charges and prison sentence.

I have planted all kinds of seeds in my life. I have watered them, nurtured them, and watched my little plants grow. Sometimes the weather beats them down. Sometimes it is too dry and the plants struggle. Frequently weeds get in the way and threaten to choke out my tiny seedlings. There are times when I get blisters on my hands and my body gets sore and tired from uprooting the unwanted pests. One thing is for sure though, I never give up. I always keep trying to encourage and foster that little plant into becoming what it was meant to be.

I’m going to write ‘my kid’ a letter tonight. I will send it with a card because her birthday has just past. She is 25 years old now. I am going to water that seed that I planted so many years ago.

later…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home