< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Saturday, January 28, 2006


I'm here at Mom and Dad's.

Thanks for the phone calls, e-mails, comments and prayers. They are all very much appreciated.

I am going to shower and put on clean clothes. I didn't feel that I could leave the hospital these last three days with Mom in such a touch and go situation.

She is still on a respirator. Dialysis has been going non-stop since Thursday night late. She has had some difficulties with her heart and going into atrial fibrulation. She had to be electro-cardio converted night before last and they thought that they might have to do it again last night, but they didn't.

Mom started brightening up a little late last night. This morning she asked what time it was by motioning her hands. (she cannot speak at all with the tracheal tube in her throat) She seems to be so much better mentally now.

Mom was on 16 different bags of IV fluids with medications. These were all run through 13 IV pumps. Some of the meds had to be titrated at times. This has been a really, really hard thing.

They are starting to cut back on some of the medications as different systems in her body start to come out of shock and start working. This is a good sign.

We are very hopeful that Mom is turning the corner here in this devastatingly catastrophric illness. Septic shock is absolutely unbelievable. They say Mom may have to stay in ICU for up to 3 months or more!

Because of how things started turning around late last night and have continued to improve through this morning, I felt like I could leave the hospital and get cleaned up and relax a bit.

Once again, thanks for all of the prayers. God has always been in the miracle business and continues to prove this to us by answering our prayers.

I will update again when I can and when there is more, or different, news.



Blogger Moof said...

Wow TJ ... what an awful thing. I'm so sorry that you're all going through this. Being that it's your Mom makes it all the worse.

Are you able to share what set this off, and your Mom's general age and condition before all of this started?

Do you still have your Dad? Brothers and sisters?

Know that we're rooting for her, and thinking of all of you across the miles.


January 28, 2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger D. T. Devareaux said...

Excellent news all around!

January 28, 2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Thanks guys.

Mom and Dad had flown to Denver to visit my sister and her family Friday before last. Mom felt like she was coming down with something and began to cough while she was in Denver.

Mom continued to get more ill and my brother-in-law then caught the 'bug'.

Mom and Dad flew home on Tuesday. Mom was feeling so bad that Dad wanted to take her to the doctor, but Mom said that she just wanted to go home and go to bed.

The next morning Dad couldn't get her up and she was very, very ill. He called an ambulance (they live out in the 'boonies') and they took her to the nearest hospital.

After assessing Mom, that hospital said that they couldn't handle it and called for a helicopter to medi-flight Mom to a hospital in Austin.

Mom is 70 years old and is in good general condition with the exception of taking high blood pressure medication.

Both Mom and Dad run a working farm and ranch by themselves and are very active taking care of the place and the livestock.

The only thing that we can figure is that Mom got pneumonia and that the infection then overwhelmed her system, throughing her into sepsis.

Thanks again guys for the thoughts and prayers...


January 29, 2006 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home