< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Don't Fence Me In...



I ran across this bit of information this evening called the
"American Community Survey".

Do any of you guys know about this? I sure didn't.

It is a program (looks more like a division to me) of the U.S. Census Bureau.

The American Community Survey is a new nationwide survey designed to provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing.

It will replace the long form in the future censuses and is a critical element in the Census Bureau's reengineered 2010 census plan.


Sounds benign enough...

I looked up Oklahoma County's stats...

Interesting, and sad at the same time.

I ran across the U.S. Census Bureau's Fact Finder.


*Note: Must remember this for research projects and papers.


But what I wasn't expecting were the questions that this rather long form is asking.


According to Phyllis Schlafly:

Person 1 must answer 25 questions about his residence and the size of the property. What kind of home, apartment or condo do you live in, when was it built, when did you move in, are you operating a business in your home, how many rooms and how many bedrooms do you have, what kind of bathroom and kitchen fixtures do you have, and what is the market price of your residence?

The survey asks how much you pay each month for electricity, gas, water, rent, real estate taxes, fire or flood insurance, plus six very specific questions about your first and second monthly mortgage payments. There are questions about your telephone and automobile, and about how many months of the year you and others occupy the residence.

The survey then gets really personal, seeking the answers to 42 questions about you and about every other person who resides in your household. Person 1 is used like a private investigator to extract the information from everybody else, and warned that if anyone doesn't want to answer your nosy questions, you must provide the name and telephone number of such person so Big Brother can follow up.


She is none too happy about this new census to say the least.


Where have I been? I didn't know anything about this.


John W. Whitehead wrote about it in his article,
The Thought Police and the American Community Survey on September 13, 2004.

But there are supporters of this census stating that it will be key to local and state economic development.

The Brookings Institution's
Pari Sabety thinks it's a good thing:

And high quality, up-to-date information is key to improving market efficiency, identifying potential investment opportunities, developing effective public policies, and efficiently allocating scarce public resources.


I'm still mulling this thing over in my head. While I haven't seen the "actual questions" on this survey, it really makes me wonder...



Isn't the IRS good enough to provide income info?

Isn't the County Tax Assessor's office good enough for property values?

Can't the insurance companies show the government some of their datamined reports?

Can't the mortgage companies share a bit of info too?



Does someone really need to know if I use Charmin or Northern to wipe my...


Okay... That's enough.


later...

4 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

oh brother! or would that be oh bother!

I've been reading your comments over at Moofs, didn't realize that you were a fellow Oklahoman.

I'm in the eastern part ...where we supposedly got rain (grin) well, everywhere around us got rain, we got a tad bit ... but somehow, it went right around us, over us, under us, clear up to us, east of us, west of us, sprinkled over us, but barely got our roads wet!

Geesh!

I've lived in Oklahoma since 1982, and this winter has me more confused over weather than ever before! It has given new meaning to the phrase "don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes, it will change!"

March 14, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

oh brother! or would that be oh bother!

I've been reading your comments over at Moofs, didn't realize that you were a fellow Oklahoman.

I'm in the eastern part ...where we supposedly got rain (grin) well, everywhere around us got rain, we got a tad bit ... but somehow, it went right around us, over us, under us, clear up to us, east of us, west of us, sprinkled over us, but barely got our roads wet!

Geesh!

I've lived in Oklahoma since 1982, and this winter has me more confused over weather than ever before! It has given new meaning to the phrase "don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes, it will change!"

March 14, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I'm sorry you didn't get any rain. Once again, I have to learn not to generalize.

Whereabouts do you live?

I moved here Memorial Day week-end in 1978. And this is the driest period of time I can ever remember. I think we have been short on rain for about a year or more?

Thanks for stopping by. I'll add you to my blogroll...

later...

March 14, 2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

I live in Tulsa.

Our weathermen here are saying it's the driest year since the dustbowl!

I think the fires are what's most unnerving.

Sunday night before the storms came, the whole city smelled like smoke from a fire started by lightening!
We had our windows open because of the heat, we kept waiting for it to rain heavy enough to have to close our windows, and we never did.
We watched all these heavy storms all over eastern Oklahoma, tornado's and everything, as they went right around Tulsa!
As if Tulsa was a donut hole or something!

March 15, 2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home