< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Working on My Paper...

I am behind schedule and have been furiously working on a rather large paper for my government class.

Needless to say, it is time to save my word document and call it an evening...

But I couldn't shut everything down without saying something other than just g'night to you guys.

I just want everyone in Oklahoma to take into consideration the feelings that all of those people and families in Stillwater have been experiencing since the OSU Board of Regents vote, on March 3rd, to go ahead with their expansion plans.

The Oklahoma State University athletic village, and other improvements, will take a very large number of homes and property from their current owners. If the property owners refuse to sell, OSU will resort to eminant domain and 'take' the properties away.

According to an AP story, out of 279 parcels only 61 have been purchased by OSU or are under contract.

I would say that this is a significant holdout.

You don't hear much about any of this on the news, and I don't live in Stillwater; so I don't know how much coverage and support these citizens have received. All I can say is that it appears to me that they are silently suffering.

It is from reading their personal letters, their pleas to the OSU President, Dr. Schmidly, and the letters to the local newspaper editor where one can see, hear, and feel the heart rendering pain that the long-time residents are going through.

It is from their viewpoint that you can witness the helplessness that they are experiencing while a very large and wealthy entity consumes comparatively small and minute lives.

I know, the numbers are huge when it comes to what the expansion will bring economically, and all the trappings that come with it...

But who is going to benefit the most? The people who have had to give up their modest homes, or the people who already have big bank accounts.

All I can say is, if they cannot stop this expansion, and all of these people have to give up their homes because of progress... I just hope that they are duly compensated for it.

And by the way... it's people like these, the people who 'are the community', that really get noticed and are important to us, not the big bankers, lawyers, or school presidents.

later...

dogscatskidslife: Should You Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth...

dogscatskidslife: Update on the Oklahoma State University Expansion...

dogscatskidslife: Eminent Domain...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home