< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Leishmaniasis Confirmed in Oklahoma and Texas...

There have been four confirmed human cases of leishmaniasis. Two cases are in McCurtain county in southern Oklahoma. The other two cases are in northeastern Texas. These cases are cutaneous infections of leishmaniasis and not visceral.

L. mexicana has been commonly identified in Texas but its occurrence of human infection has been rare.

A physician alert has been issued. If a case of leishmaniasis is identified, healthcare providers are being asked to report these cases to the State Health Departments immediately.

Additionally, the Oklahoma State Department of Health and the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture are asking veterinarians to notify them of any cases of leishmaniasis they may diagnose. Care should be taken when handling animals with leishmaniasis as it is zoonotic.

The disease begins as an erythematous papule at the site of the sand fly bite on exposed parts of the body. The papule increases in size and becomes a nodule. It eventually ulcerates and crusts over. The border is usually raised and distinct. There may be multiple lesions, especially when the patient has encountered a nest of sandflies. The ulcer is typically painless, unless there is secondary bacterial or fungal infection. Lesions may heal spontaneously after many months; however the recommended treatment, pentavalent antimony, is available through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.


Read more about it:

The US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine(USACHPPM) has several informational links as well as a photo of a lesion on the hand.


Leishmaniasis, mexicana - lesion on cheek


Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine article


Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Fact Sheet


Wikipedia article

later...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TJ ... that's one I'd never heard of. Also never heard of "sand flies."

I hope it doesn't become a big problem down there - it sounds unpleasant ...

May 26, 2006 5:13 AM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

Morning ...that sounds nasty, and scary.

Did you hear about the new law on offenders going to a vote today?

I have mixed feelings on it. Interested in your views. My mixed views are personally scewed with an uncle in prison.

By the new law ...my uncle would be up for the death penelty for molesting 2 people under 14. Does he deserve it ...probably so.

Do I want him to not have it because he's my uncle ..that's probably playing a role ... however ...what's got me is 2 things ...1 ... I want him to accept Christ before he dies. Desperately.
2. I want him to accept responsibility for what he's done and stop blaming his own molestation as a child for his behavior.

If he were to be executed ...that could happen before either of those goals were to take place and he could die blaming his molester for his actions, and die not knowing Christ.

I don't know if I'd be against the law if not for my uncle, and my thoughts on my uncle makes me think that way about other INCARCIRATED offenders too ... so I'm very confused on the issue.

May 26, 2006 5:53 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

TJ: This sounds horrible - Just the word "parasite" conjures up awful images. That's one advantage to living in England, I guess - no sand flies!

May 26, 2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Moof...

Actually, the biggest problem with leishmaniasis is the visceral type that has been found 'up your way'. Dogs are the reservoirs for this type of leishmaniasis.

They have been tracking it for many years now. In fact, I was assisting with local authorities/veterinarians for sample collecting way back in the early 80's when they had some cases show up in a kennel of foxhounds here in Oklahoma.

Here's a report on the latest 3 year study.


Peggikaye...

I'm on my lunch break. It's crazy at work and I will probably be working late. I will need some time to respond to your inquiry thoughtfully.

later...

May 26, 2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Sue...

You might want to do a search on that.

If it isn't in England, it's very close.

It's also found in the Mediterranean too.

Unaware vacationers have contracted the disease.

Also, our armed forces are subjected to it all the time in the Middle East.

later...

May 26, 2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger Oakman said...

I was just considering buying a different brand of flea and tick repellant for our dog that is supposed to also repel mosquitoes and sand flies. Maybe I'll get enough for me and the wife too!

May 26, 2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Mike!

I know what you mean.

I wonder if they can make it smell like Chanel No. 5...

or something like that.

later...

May 26, 2006 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home