< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Day...

The mystic cords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave and every living heart...should swell into a mighty chorus of remembrance, gratitude and rededication on this solemn occasion.

Abraham Lincoln



I truly hope that everyone has a safe and wonderful Memorial Day week-end.

But I also hope that you understand, recognize, and remember why we have a Memorial Day.


A Gallup Poll says that only 28% of Americans know what Memorial Day represents.


Memorial Day is not the beginning of the summer solstice.

It is not the official day that starts the summer vacation season.

It isn't the national opening day for the local swimming pool...



I hope that everyone knows and understands that this is a day of remembrance for the soldiers that have fallen and died while serving our country.


On Monday at three o'clock, please take a moment to remember this solemn day.

This is a day to remember those who have given us our country and our freedoms.


A day of remembrance for those who have given of themselves something that neither you nor I can replace.


We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

Moina Michael


On This Day as sung by Sara Evans.

later...

4 Comments:

Blogger The Domesticator said...

TJ: Thanks for the reminder.
Also, I never knew why the veterans handed out the red poppies when I make a donation. Now I know. I hope you and your family enjoy the day! :)

May 29, 2006 5:09 AM  
Blogger jakalof said...

Hi TJ:

I really like the poem. It vividly reminds me of the civil war battlefields. As indicated in one of your links, memorial day may have been conceived shortly after the civil war. Sadly, not only has our culture forgotten what memorial day is about, but our government has forgotten about when, where and why we fight wars.

Your post gave me pause to think about memorial day and I learned a few things too. Thanks and thanks for being the only person to comment over at my blog:) It gets lonely over there:)

Jak

May 29, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Thanks guys. It is sad when traditions are started and continued, and yet so many don't know why.


thanks for being the only person to comment over at my blog:)

And thank you both for commenting on my blog!

later...

May 29, 2006 6:27 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

I will have to check out Jakalof's blog, make it less lonely! Lonliness in the blog world is not a good thing!

I don't know why memorial day is so hard for me. Maybe because of my step dad, and his Korean experience. I generally will tune it out as soon as the tears start to well up. One of these days ... .I will have to really start to explore it.

Since my dad and step father, and my Dad's step father were all in the service. My step grandfather fought at the battle of the buldge ...now see ... this gets just too much!

Thank you for posting this.

May 29, 2006 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home