< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Monday, May 08, 2006

A Newer Vehicle for T.J. and the Kids...


It's late so this will be short.

I have 'given' the dealership my 1988 Ford Aerostar van that had almost 175,000 miles on it.

I now own a vehicle that is 10 years younger and with almost 100,000 miles less.


I have to give the old van a proper farewell as she served me and the kids very well for many many miles.

She took us down the long highway to Nana and Pa's in Texas without nary a hitch, many a time.

While she had developed a very noisy manifold exhaust leak , she was still getting between 17 and 18 mpg in town and 23 to 24 mpg on the highway.


She started every morning, whether it was near zero degrees or not.

And usually on the first turn of the key.


She never complained or whined.


I have to say though, that the van had started to require quite of bit of oil between oil changes these last 6 months.

And she was really starting to leave quite a spot on the driveway...

Something that she never used to do.

But I think that she was getting really tired.

And she was doing the best that she could considering that she was almost 20 years old.


I don't know why I get so attached to my vehicles, but I do.

They become like comfortable old shoes and when they have proven themselves to be dependable...

Well, it's just really sad for me to let them go.

I don't really know why.


Maybe it's because that it seems like you are abandoning them in their old age.


And the closer that I get to 50...

The closer that idea hits to home.

later...

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

It's strange isn't it how attached we become to our vehicles. I feel like I'm abandoning them when I've had the best they can offer and then go trading them in for a newer model! Hope you have many enjoyable trips ahead of you in your new car:}

May 08, 2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

She served you well. did you have a name for her?

May 09, 2006 6:01 AM  
Blogger Oakman said...

And why shouldn't we become attached? A dependable vehicle is a good friend indeed.

Machines have personalities that respond to nurturing just like animals. And like animals, when thery're abused, they rarely perform to their potential.

May 09, 2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

So Sue, you feel like I do?

*whew*

That means I'm normal right?

No Pattie. I didn't have a 'proper' name for her. If I had named her then it would make things seem even worse to me.

Hope you guys had a wonderful day!

later...

May 09, 2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Mike!

You are absolutely right.

Good to *see* you!

later...

May 09, 2006 9:08 PM  
Blogger J said...

I'm attached to Aerostars too! We bought one in 1991 (it was used) and my family drove it all the way from NY to Montana. Later we sold that and bought another, not because they are great vans, but because they can tow a boat. : ) I learned to drive in a Ford Aerostar...that might explain a few things about my driving actually. Have a good one!

May 11, 2006 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home