< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What Should be Simpler than Battery Operated...

Some heavy duty storms and hail are moving through the state right now.

I have heard of one tornado, but it seems that the hail that is being produced is causing the biggest problems.

There was also one report of softball sized hail.

I can see lightening in the west right now. We are in a severe weather watch until 6am.

My *new* car is in the garage.

I'm so thankful to have a garage.


I am going to have to shut this Win98 machine down, but I am wanting the "consumer bots" to hear something first.



It is irritating that the companies in this country don't believe in "durable goods". They don't make things to last for any length of time on purpose.

My latest complaint:

Rechargeable Batteries

I use NIMH rechargeable batteries for my digital camera. The kind that I have are Rayovac and they have worked well for about two years now.

I don't expect batteries to last forever, and when I realized that these batteries weren't holding the charge like they used to I went to the store to get some replacement batteries.

Well guess what?

The new NIMH batteries will not fit in this charger. Why is that?

The new batteries are imperceptably larger than the old ones.

They have increased their size just enough where they will not fit in the charger.

This irritates me to no end.

So, being the letter writer that I am, I have written
Rayovac a letter:

I bought four rechargeable NIMH batteries and a charger about two years ago.

These batteries are not holding their charge as well as they used to. So I went to the store to buy new Rayovac NIMH batteries.

The new batteries WILL NOT fit in the charger.

I do not want to buy a new charger, but it looks like I am going to be forced to?

The new batteries are only slightly larger, but there is enough increase in their size that prevents them from fitting in the charger.

This renders my current battery charger useless. Why would you make this battery charger essentially obsolete?

If I have to buy a new battery charger because of this, I will not be buying a Rayovac product.

Thank you.



Well... I need to go to bed.

The storms will be here soon enough.

I pray that our families and our homes will be safe and not damaged.

And that my beautiful flowers will benefit from the moisture and are not destroyed by hail...

later...

7 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Don't talk to me about batteries - I am forever buying them. In the past we had the rechargeable ones for the remote control toys etc but they never seemed to "last". Now, I always seem to be buying batteries for the kids MP3 players, PSP, etc.... Hope you get a good result with the letter - maybe a free battery charger! Here's hoping...

May 09, 2006 11:15 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

TJ,
I swear those companies change things on purpose so that you HAVE to buy a new charger. I've had that problem with razors. I buy one and then within a year, that one is replaced by a "newer" one...with DIFFERENT blades...Grrrr...
I hope you all stayed safe through the unsettled weather.

May 10, 2006 4:42 AM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

We ran into the exact same problem! Same company. It never dawned on me to write the company and complain. We just went and bought the charger to charge the new batteries. DUH.

Hope you held out safely in the storms. I didn't know it rained until this morning. Evidently Tulsa got hit hard.
We lost a paneling on the side of our trailer ... and I slept right through it!!!!

Good thing we didn't need to take shelter cause evidently nothing was going to wake me last night!

Boy Habitat needs to get busy!

May 10, 2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger AB5SY said...

Good girl, give'em hell. Hopefully they will listen to you as they sure as heck don't pay any attention to my consumer complaints.

May 10, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Sue...

I let you know what happens, if anything.

This problem permeates everything Pattie and it is senseless WASTE in my opinion.


I'm glad you are ok Peggikaye. I was tired too and wasn't awakened by any of the racket. I can't see that anything is wrong here at the house, but about a block up the street a HUGE elm tree is on its side with its roots in the air. It feel from west to east. The house was north. The gigantic branches just missed knocking their porch completely off. That family is very fortunate indeed.

Nothing else is really out of place around here (just a few small dead limbs, leaves, etc.), so it could have been one of those microbursts that knocked that tree over.


Hey Wm H...

Thanks for the support. I write lots of letters to lots of folks about things that bother me.

A couple of semesters ago, one of my professors was talking in class about letters that consumers write to the corporations. She was saying that, whether we see it/know it or not, that the corporations really value the feedback and do take what we say into consideration.

So be encouraged Wm H and keep writing!

later...

May 10, 2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger jakalof said...

Hey TJ,

sadly, thats the way things often are nowadays -- and its not only batteries.

Good luck with your *new* vehicle. At first I thought it might be the bicycle but I assume that you need more than a bike to get around considering the "dogscatskids" aspect of your life.

Thanks for your comment/advice on my dog's toe nail. I tried to take a picture of it tonight but I was unsuccessful. It is split along one side as opposed to straight down the middle. Because of the hair and because she doesn't like me touching it, I am not quite sure how far it goes back. I will try again tomorrow in the light of day.

later... (I'll try your signature signature on for size)

May 10, 2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Good luck with your *new* vehicle.

Thanks!!

Thanks for your comment/advice on my dog's toe nail.

You're welcome.

later... (I'll try your signature signature on for size)

Sure!

Let me know how it *fits*.

:+ )

later...

May 10, 2006 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home