< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

There Goes the Neighborhood...

D.T. stopped by and asked me if I had seen this.

Of course, leading the sheltered life that I do, I had not.


Have you guys heard?

A super highway, the width of four football fields, will be going through Oklahoma City.

Have you heard of these folks?

North America SuperCorridor Coalition Inc.?


I know, I've complained about I-35 so much that I have refused to drive on it for several years now.


Seeing, much less driving on, a steroidal I-35 is just too much for me to comprehend right now.


This thing looks like its going to happen, whether we are aware of it or not.

I don't guess our opinion really matters.


A gigantic highway, that you will probably be able to see from space, starting at Mexico and going all the way to Canada.

*Dang*

There goes the immigration debate.

I don't guess we need to discuss that subject any further.


They all talk about trade, commerce and all that stuff, but I can't help but wonder...

Wouldn't a steroidal rail system work better for this kind of thing?

Wouldn't it be more fuel efficient and cut back on the need for Middle Eastern petroleum products too?

Instead, we're increasing the traffic and the number of 18-wheelers.

Can you imagine the eminent domain issues this is going to create?

All the homes and citizens that will be displaced?


Gee... once again I find myself wishing that I had been consulted first before they had made a decision about something like this.


I really hope we're not sorry after it's all said and done.

later...

5 Comments:

Blogger civilian-at-arms said...

I do not doubt--not for a second--that the idea of literally sawing America in half, and right through 'the Middle' no less, is one of the underlying considerations driving this super highway--aside from the greedy economics of it all, of course. Why America should ever want to integrate itself, culturally and economically, with the likes of Canada and Mexico is absolutely baffling. Well, baffling to those who still consider things like independence and sovereignty of any import.

June 16, 2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey D.T.

I know what you mean.

It seems that we are very, very friendly with our neighbors here lately. It really makes you wonder what's really going on sometimes.

It does make you wonder "outside of the box" a bit...

Is the United States going to be swallowed up from the north and the south?

Or would she try to expand her borders, creating what...

20 or 30 more states?

This highway idea seems strange, especially post 9/11.

later...

June 16, 2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

just what oklahoma needs ... more road construction. grrr

June 16, 2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger shade said...

It's not right either way you look at it...

June 16, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I know Peggikaye. And the worse part about it is that we probably won't see this project come to fruition in our lifetimes. Leaving us with 20 to 30 years of detours and delays.

I have watched a simple 8 mile stretch of highway take almost ten years to build. It's ridiculous.

The state's highway department likes to treat road construction like all-day suckers. The longer it lasts, the happier they are.

And no Wolfbaby, it isn't right and I think that it is an antiquated solution to a perceived commerce problem. They need to look a bit farther ahead into the future for a solution to this one.

later...

June 17, 2006 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home