< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Dog Days...

I didn't do much of anything this week-end.

I just ~vegged~ out.

A short jaunt to work late this afternoon and well...

That was about it.


102 degrees Fahrenheit today.

Day Number 17 of 100 degree, or 100+, temperatures.

Certainly not a record, or anything like that.


We sure do like to complain about the heat, but most of us have it so good.

With air conditioning in our homes AND our cars.

We can set the thermostat, sit back with a TV remote...

And something cool to drink.


No troubles sleeping at night with the A/C on.

And the sheets don't stick to you either.


My kids don't really know what it's like to live without central heat and air.


I do.


And we're blessed.


I learned something new.

I never new where the term "dog days of summer" came from.

Now I do.


dog days \DOG-DAYZ\ noun

*1 : the hot sultry period of summer between early July and early September in the northern hemisphere
2 : a period of stagnation or inactivity

Example sentence:
With the steamy dog days upon us, air conditioners are selling like hotcakes.

Did you know?
Dogs aren't the only creatures uncomfortable in oppressive heat, so why does a dog get singled out in "dog days"? The dog here is actually the Dog Star, which is also called "Sirius." The star has long been associated with sultry weather in the northern hemisphere because it rises simultaneously with the sun during the hottest days of summer. In the ancient Greek constellation system, this star (called "Seirios" in Greek) was considered the hound of the hunter Orion and was given the epithet "Kyon," meaning "dog." The Greek writer Plutarch referred to the hot days of summer as "hēmerai kynades" (literally, "dog days") and a Latin translation of this _expression as "dies caniculares" is the source of our English phrase.

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.



Do you think those Greek folks knew what it was like to live without air conditioning?

later...

6 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

Our A/C will only cool it down to about 92 when it gets this hot.... I will remember the greek when I'm complaining ...

I still can't wait to get our house and appropriate insulation and central heat and air! *grin*

July 31, 2006 5:12 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

TJ; I will admit, I like the heat and all, but at night I do like to sleep with the air conditioner on. I think I am spoiled! Right now, I am visiting my parents in RI...I slept with the windows open. IT was HOT...(no air)

July 31, 2006 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh

I have done without central air plenty of summers.... it wasn't pretty..

one your (when i was little)we didn't have heat just a wood burner..

yeah it's a wonderfull thing to have !!!

July 31, 2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Oh my Peggikaye! I'm so sorry...


Hey Patti...

They don't *need* A/C in Rhode Island. Right?


Hey Wolfbaby...

I can handle no A/C MUCH BETTER than little or no heat!


I didn't know so many of my friends were suffering!

I'm so sorry.

later...

July 31, 2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Dr. A said...

AC also keeps the keyboard cool and the blogging red hot. Dog days indeed...

July 31, 2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Dr. A...

Keeps those fingers from ~perspiring~ too!

;+ )

later...

July 31, 2006 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home