< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back to School...

The kids had an uneventful day at school today.

When I had asked them how their first day back went I got several comments.

Here's an example of one comment:

"What do you mean? It's like we never left."



Of course, that's a pretty accurate observation.

Since my kids attend a (small) private school, they have a bit of a different schedule than the public schools do.

Their schedule is considered to be "year round schooling".

They were only off for six weeks this summer.

And they get extra long breaks at different times of the year.

I reminded the kids about that.

But they said that they would rather do without those breaks for a longer summer vacation.


I guess I ruined my kids.


When I homeschooled, I was of the same mindset.

We would work really hard, take very little time off, and when the spring fever hit in April...

Well, we were almost through with the school year.

Getting out of school in April, and starting again the first Monday of August (hiding from the tough summer heat) worked out well for us.

We were inside with our studies when the weather was the least enjoyable for us.

But of course, when we finished our studies during August, we would find time to make it to the pool for some late afternoon swimming.


Things have changed quite a bit in our household compared to six years ago.

Especially since I am the sole provider.


It has been a quite a while since I have homeschooled, but at times it seems like yesterday.

The kids have vivid memories of those days.


And sometimes I think it makes us all a little sad.

later...

7 Comments:

Blogger Sicilian said...

TJ. . . Sometimes. . . divorce makes the memories hurt. I understand the emotions you feel. I feel like my kids had a life when they were little that was a fairytale. It makes me sad sometimes.
Ciao

August 15, 2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

I am sure that getting accustomed to a schedule that worked so well for you before must be difficult. When you homeschool, you can customize the schedule, which sounds like it worked for all of you....hard to give that up.
Our city is considering year round schooling to deal with the overcrowding...six weeks off in the summer, along with four three week breaks throughout the school year. I thought that sounded pretty appealing...more vacations! But the shorter summers would be hard.

August 16, 2006 5:27 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

It sounds like what our schools have now: 6 weeks in summer - a week in Jul, all of August and a few days of September - with 3 terms spread out through the remainder. It works out well although there is talk of a shorter summer break and 4 terms a year.

August 16, 2006 6:03 AM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

We did year round with Benjamin when he was in elementary school. Loved it. We used the same schedule homeschooling Samuel.

Now, Samuel is in school and I'm homeschooling Benjamin. Tomorrow, I take Samuel to highschool and Benjamin gets his very first school book trip. He's worried. Samuel's excited for his brother. We have a used homeschool book store here. I think it will get him excited.

Oh my goodness! We forgot to buy school supplies for Samuel!!!!! Guess we have some stuff to do today! *smacks self in head*

August 16, 2006 6:33 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Then you know exactly how I feel Sicilian.


Pattie, the additional long breaks appeals to a lot of people. It doesn't cram all of your family trips into Christmas break and summer.


Hey Pattie... I know that it isn't a new concept, although new to most of the U.S., and it is probably fashioned after the British school schedule.


Hey Peggikaye! You'd better get moving!

later...

August 16, 2006 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man here i see all these moms talkin bout the kids going back to school...

and mine are still at home... i thought about homeschooling.. right up until cookie monster got really bad for
the terrible twos.. did you know i have

1095 days till the first day cookie monster can go to kindergarten?

and

4015 days till cookie monster is in the eight grade?

August 16, 2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

*laugh*

Those days will fly by!

August 16, 2006 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home