< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Called In... Now It's Late...


I am home now after doing a late evening ultrasound.

The results of the ultrsonographic findings are not good.


The dog is a precious 13 year old female yellow labrador retriever.

The owner is a precious woman who has an inoperable hemangioma in her brainstem, MS, lupus, and a host of other health related difficulties.


Her long time companion has been so attentive to her over the years.


The stories the lady told me about her dog makes you wonder if God himself didn't send her to the woman.


From natural instinct the lady's companion has protected her from harm.

Many dogs are protective of their hearth and home, and very protective of their family members.

But there's something else that this dog did that is very unusual without extensive and expensive training.


The dog would alert her owner before she would have a seizure.


The lady knew that this was a special gift, but I don't think she truly understood how special.


Her dog did this instinctively, without training.


A moment was given to me, and I shared with the woman how special of a gift it was for her dog to have taken care of her in the way that she has.


While I was doing the ultrasound, and listening to the woman's stories, I knew that her special companion was dying from irreversible disease.


The woman shared that she was dying too.


A special bond was shared between the two of them.


An unusual bond that is so rare to see in real life.


A bond between man and a creature of God that comes only once in a lifetime.



Lord, help me to pray without ceasing.


later...

9 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

When I was at my worst with the myasthenia, we had a beagle that would pace in front of me, refuse to let me get up ... but only when I wasn't going to be able to get up.

Inevitebly ... if I made Samuel move her and stood up anyway, I'd crash to the floor. We soon learned to heed Cinnamon's pacing as a sign that she knew something we didn't. Whether she could SMELL the increase of antibodies or what? We never knew ...

She was a very special dog, she'd been abused before we got her, and eventually had to be put to sleep because of the injuries incurred due to that abuse (thrown from a car!) But the 4 years we had her, we treasured her.

I will pray for this woman and her compainion. And you TJ dear!

August 28, 2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger Sicilian said...

TJ. . . your story made me tear up. . . one of the hardest things I ever did was to put my beloved poodle to sleep. . .
I hope that neither man nor beast suffers much before death.
Ciao

August 29, 2006 2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

makes me think of my pokey... i had her for 16yrs... she was faitful as they come.. and something special.. she knew before i did that i was pregnant with my oldest daughter... when my husband came into the pic she was his dog.. when i got pregnant she was mine.. and when cookie monster came into the world she was cookie monsters.. she would lay next to cookie monster in her last days and let her pul on her and tug on her without ever once complaining.. she would sleep by her crib... never left her side... the day i put her to sleep the entire family wept buckets of tears... we are lucky for our special friends aren't we...

August 29, 2006 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that. A true blog account. It made me pause for a moment, reflect, consider, and sigh. I'm a better person for it. Thank you.

The tellurian.

August 29, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Thanks Peggikaye...


I agree with you Sicilian.


Wolfbaby, like you, many are most fortunate.


Tellurian...

I hope that we are all better for it.


later...

August 29, 2006 6:43 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

An amazing story on many counts. I hope neither will suffer.

August 30, 2006 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me so sad... but hopeful because she and her dog won't have to wait long before they meet on the rainbow bridge.

http://petloss.com

August 31, 2006 5:37 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

It really is amazing how our pets seem capable of reading our minds; of knowing exactly what we need... sometimes better than we do ourselves.

September 04, 2006 5:47 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Yes...

You're right.

Maybe we should learn to "listen" better.

later...

September 07, 2006 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home