< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Limitations...


We had some really nice rain this week-end.

It was cloudy with mist and light rain here most of the day...

And our high temperature for the day only reached 78 degrees!


Right now, it feels kind of 'chilly' outside.

I know, you guys think I'm crazy, but my body has gotten accustomed to 100+ temperatures and so now it thinks it's cold!

This upcoming week...

80's!


Right when we felt like we were reaching our limits on the high temperatures, God sends us a nice cool front from the north and a nice refreshing rain.




It's right at that time of the month where the budget hits some limits around my house.

Making ends meet sometimes is quite a tap dance...

But over the years I have learned a lot of tricks.


For example...

I can make one whole chicken feed us four meals.

I bake a chicken and we eat part of it for dinner.

Then I make the rest into chicken salad, stir fry, and finally a Mexican style skillet dinner with rice.

Buying a whole chicken is usually a lot cheaper too.


While we may not eat fancy and expensive foods...

We have never gone hungry in my house.

For the most part, I just have to use some practicality and wisdom.

Of course, God has always seen the limits of our budget too, and has always taken care of our needs when we needed it most.

He has also given us some wonderful and unbelievable blessings that have surpassed our wildest imaginations.


We're so very thankful that God doesn't have any limitations...

Especially when it comes to His Blessings.

later...

11 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

leave it to us oklahoman's to say "what? 80's in August? But I've just gotten used to 100's!"

I was saying the same thing to someone today!

No, I do NOT want the 100's back, I'll adjust to the 80's thank you. LOL

After your done with the mexican skillet dinner ... you can boil the carcus and make chicken vegetable soup with the bones.

Meal #5

August 27, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

We're having to count the pennies too so found your chicken suggestions very helpful. Like you, I count my blessings everyday: I have a wonderful husband, two lovely children and a great group of friends.

Oh, how I dream of the 80's - the temperature today is a cool 58 degrees!

August 28, 2006 3:21 AM  
Blogger Sicilian said...

TJ. . . we are 100 plus still. . . it is 90 when I come into work at 11 p.m. No rain here yet, but it has been within 30 miles.
I save pennies by eating a lot of vegie meals. . . meat is a luxury, but I too have found whole chickens make many meals. I have had to cut back on my entertaining. I love to make food and feed people. I just can't do it as much as I like.
Being single makes one count your pennies, and I save them anywhere I can. I am thankful that the bills always get paid on time and I have always been able to feed us.
Ciao

August 28, 2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

TJ: I know what you mean about how the 70's can feel chilly, particularly when it's in the 100's. I always feel that way with the change of seasons. Right now it's in the 90's here and I like that. We could use some rain, though. If this hurricane makes it's way up here, I'm sure we'll get a dousing.

August 28, 2006 7:10 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Peggikaye...

We are a bit 'crazy' in our rationalizations, aren't we?

About the soup. Yes... Meal #5 has been used in my house, but only part of the time.

I am really not a big soup fan, so I usually don't make the soup. The kids like it, but the ~cook~ doesn't.

So we have to live by *her* rules.

=8+D


Hey Sue...

I would call temperatures in the 50's downright cold!


Hey Sicilian...

I'm praying that the rain reaches down your way. Mom and Dad are hurting too. In fact, they're trying to get another well online this week.


Hey Pattie...

I happen to know a little bit about Carolina weather.

Go to the grocery store, set yourself on a hill, and hold on to your hat!

later...

August 28, 2006 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good suggestions... i have been known to make a meal streatch myself a time or two..

take care
were enjoying the cool weather as well wow...

August 28, 2006 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making things stretch used to be one of my handiest "talents" ... I no longer cook at home, but at one time, a chicken did the same at my house ... as did just about everything we picked up.

I once took some leftover ham, and turned it into something I called "crazy stew" ... it had ham, swiss chard from the garden, lentils, potatoes, carrots (garden) ... and just about everything that was edible and not nailed down ... ended up being everyone's favorite.

I used to also make pies from the wild apples and berries the kids would bring home from the trees and shrubs in the woods - a 9" by 12" deep dish pie make several breakfasts ...

Actually - those were the best days we shared. I miss them ...

August 28, 2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby...

Glad you have some cool weather!


Hey Moof...

I didn't recognize your "m"!

Glad you had a minute to visit.

I love having a garden. I like Swiss Chard too.


I also like living off the land.

It just seems more natural to me.

later...

August 28, 2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

Ok ...the rain has got to stop ... they are trying to lay a foundation for my house so we can do a wall raisin' on September 9th! the foundation has to harden.

It's got to be poured, then dried ... Now ... we gotta have some dry weather here ... been praying for rain all summer ...now I'm praying it'll stop!

August 29, 2006 12:17 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Peggikaye...

God sent the rain for a reason.

The ground is so hard and dry that it needs the moisture terribly. If the ground is too dry, then it will most definitely shift a great deal during a wet period.

This could possibly have adverse affects on your foundation in the future.

God has been in on this house project of yours from the beginning.

It just needed a little watering to get it to sprout properly.

;+)

later...

August 29, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

:)

There was a dry enough day today for it to be poured!
They need 8 days to dry.

We have 11 days.

Oh my ...11 days!!! WOW!!!

:D

August 29, 2006 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home