< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

I'm Just Different I Guess...

Well, I have spent the day working on my schoolwork.

The weather helped to keep me in without any problems.

Blustery and chilly winds...

Overcast.

Cold.


So I was able to concentrate on my studies without too much trouble...

Especially since I wasn't tempted to be outside at all.


I've been working really hard at exercising my brain.

Trying to recover some of the things that I feel that I have lost.

And I think that I am making some really good headway too.


I think differently than most people do anyway.

I tend to approach problems from a different angle.

I supppose that you could say that I view my world through an uncommon lens.

And what I see isn't necessarily what everyone else sees either.


I always wonder about myself.

Wondering about why I am so unlike other people.

You know, average people.


I ran across this study which seems to have identified a memory gene. The gene's name is Kibra.

Everyone seems to think that this is going to be a really great thing and will lead to helping those with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

If that is true...

That the gene Kibra is a key to finding a cure for those diseases...

Then the next conclusion would be that these, and other memory disorders, are more than likely inheritable traits.


While scientists are busy mapping the human genomes...

I wonder how all of this will actually be applied to our lives in 20 years or so.


It just makes me wonder about a few things.


Things like...

Will this discovery of the memory gene, Kibra, put psychologists and psychiatrists out of business?

I mean, if you were "born thataway"...

What can be done about it?


It's just a thought.

later...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry im going to stand on a soapbox for a sec but

I do not believe that we are genetically pre-disposed to act or behave in a specific way. That would be like never claiming responsiblity for our actions. or only claiming responsibility when we want to. So I think the head docs will have jobs for a long time to come. In sciences today they do say genes do play a roll, however, they also say so does environment and that behavior can be learned or unlearned which ever needs to be done. That has also been proven. So anytime a doc may try and say you are genetically pre-disposed to act this way i say hogwash..

ok im done..

sorry

have a good one T.J. and I am very glad you were able to get some homework done.. i always thing if you have the gift of looking at a problem in a different way then that is good because maybe you might find a solution others might not even think of..

have a good day:)

October 22, 2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby...

Thanks.

You bring up an interesting point.

I'm all for individuals accepting responsibility for their actions. Everyone should accept responsibility for themselves, no matter what.

And I believe that you can certainly modify your behavior, to a degree.

But... I have witnessed myself, even in children that have been separated from their parents since day one, that people will do things and act in ways that mirror their biological parents and grand-parents.

The adopted child is a great example of this. The environment does not change their inherited personal traits.

So...

How does one go about changing what has been "hard-wired" into their being?

If a duck is drawn to water by its very nature and being, how can you make it adapt to a desert environment? Will it eventually wain and waste away emotionally due to the "un-naturalistic" nature of its environment? Pining for something that it has never seen or experienced?

Just wondering.

later...

October 22, 2006 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that we're all responsible for our actions, but I do believe ... and I mean do believe ... that genetics plays an important role in who we end up being. I wasn't quite as sure about it 30 years ago ... but I'm dead-on convinced, now.

About shrinks ... I think they'll find themselves something to do ... there would still be post-traumatic stress, BPD, and other non-genetic disorders they could play with ...

TJ ... you know though, being different isn't always a bad thing. I've always been different, but I don't regret it. It cost me a lot as a kid, but hasn't been the same as an adult. Being different can be a good thing ...

{{{ hugs! }}}

October 23, 2006 8:44 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Moof...

Glad you stopped by.

And thanks for the *hugs*.

;+ )

later...

October 23, 2006 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home