< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Just Another Day in Hugo, Oklahoma...

Here's an interesting story that I thought some of you may/may not enjoy...

It just depends on which side of the fence you ride on.

A woman in Hugo, Oklahoma, gunned down a would be robber at her liquor store on Thursday. Her 84 year old mother was manning the cash register.

Sheila Almond, 59, first shot the man in the shoulder with a pistol. When that didn’t slow him down, she laid a shotgun on the counter and blasted him in the abdomen.

“She blowed him out the door,” Bob Almond said.


You know...

People shouldn't be trying to take advantage of senior citizens.

It just ain't right...


And a disrespectful attitude has been proven to be bad for your health.

Owning a liquor store, the Almonds have anticipated that someday they would be held up. Sheila Almond wasn’t counting on being the only one in the store who knew how to use a gun when that happened.

After ordering the robber to the other side of the counter, she told an employee to “Bring her ‘Baby,’ - that’s what we call the shotgun,” her husband said.

Sheila Almond, who is blind in her right eye, wanted the robber to think there was a child in the store - maybe he would leave, she said.

“I didn’t want to shoot,” Almond said. “But if I had to shoot, I wanted my shotgun.”

As an employee scrambled for the shotgun, Almond found the pistol.

“I knew if I got my hand on my pistol he was dead,” she said. “When I brought it up, it was ready to fire. He said, ‘Give it to me.’ I shot him. I’m just thankful I didn’t break any bottles. I know that’s callous, but he was wrong.”



Do you remember the lessons that you learned in grade school?

Things like...

Keeping your hands to yourself?

You know...

Common sense kind of stuff.


The robber continued to reach for money and Almond grabbed a shotgun from her co-worker, laid it on the counter and shot him in the stomach.

...The shot sent the robber crashing through the door and into the store’s parking lot, with only his feet still on the front porch, a gun in one hand and a wad of 10-dollar bills in the other.



So there's a few lessons to be learned from this story.


#1. Don't mess with someone's 84 year old mother.

#2. Don't mess with someone who has pet names for their firearms.

#3. Don't mix guns with liquor.


Sheila Almond said she’s taking her liquor store employee out today to teach her how to shoot a gun. They’ll have to do it without “Baby,” though. The shotgun was confiscated by police.



I wonder what the new shotgun's name is going to be?

Junior?


later...

7 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Is that it then? Will she be taken to court for shooting the robber? I agree totally with defending yourself but here in the UK things seem to get a bit twisted... I'm pretty sure she would be taken to court and end up in prison herself!

Yet again, it's back to that question of whether it's "sensible" to take things into your own hands or sit back and let "them" have an easy ride.

October 21, 2006 2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be wrong in my thinking.. but sometimes I believe you have to defend yourself and your family. I know alot of folks say no that God dosn't want us to kill others... but if it's a choice between some gunman and my family I'd just as soon as the gunman be the one to take the bullet... and I'd do anything in my power to make sure it happened that way... take care T.J.

October 21, 2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Sue...

We have laws here in Oklahoma (other states do as well) that allow you to defend yourself. These laws have recently been 'shored' up and made stronger in the defense of the victim.

There will be an investigation, but from what was presented in this story, it appears that the store owner was in the right. So no, she won't be charged with any crime. After the investigation is over they will probably give her gun back to her as well.


Hey Wolfbaby...

As I have stated before, I don't think God has "raised us up" to be a bunch of wimps. We should protect ourselves and our families as well.

It's a position that I pray that I never find myself in, but a position that I firmly believe in nonetheless.

later...

October 21, 2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger Lea said...

Hooray for Sheila, Mama and Baby!

October 22, 2006 2:11 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Lea...

My sentiments exactly.

later...

October 22, 2006 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

w00t! Go Sheila! If crooks expected everyone to have one of those behind the counter, or in the their homes under their pillow, or in their glove boxes, crime would be amazingly low.

I believe in self defense. The crook is doing what he's doing because he's counting on you to let him ...

We don't lock our doors at camp at night, and we don't lock them at home, either. No one bothers us because they all know that most locals hunt, and hunters have guns, and know how to use them.

Thanks for sharing this article with us!

October 23, 2006 8:37 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

You're welcome Moof!

October 23, 2006 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home