< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Friday, January 19, 2007

On Its Way... Another Winter Storm...

I don't think you can really get a grasp of what kind of an ice storm we experienced here in Oklahoma without seeing it for yourselves.

The public schools were closed this entire week.

All because of the ice.

We had three inches of ice here at the house...

And it is hard as a rock.

Hard enough to ice skate on in the back yard!

Of course, I don't know how to ice skate. I was raised in the Hill Country of Texas, and ice is supposed to come out of the freezer to be used for iced tea...

Or homemade ice cream!


But there are people in Oklahoma who do know how to ice skate due to a few ice skating rinks that are in the larger metropolitan areas.


It's a rare opportunity...

Probably once in a lifetime...

To get to skate on ice in your own backyard and neighborhood streets.



I guess you could say these folks made lemonade out of lemons...

So to speak.




We're here waiting for the next winter storm to come through.

Forecasters still believe that we could get a lot of snow.

A lot of snow for where we are located.

Ten inches of snow sounds like too much to me.

No matter where you live.

And it is going to be what is called a "wet" snow which means that it will be heavy.

There have been several roof collapses from the ice storm that we had. There are warnings that there may be more from this snowfall.


In other ice related Oklahoma news...

A local news station's helicopter pilot used his aircraft to rescue a deer from a frozen lake.

The Channel 9 pilot does a lot of flying around the state of Oklahoma chasing tornadoes and stuff like that...

I've always enjoyed watching Mason Dunn's videos.

But his coverage of a rescue operation of a stranded deer stuck in the ice and water turned into his being part of the story, instead of just covering it.

You may have seen it on a national news report.

It seems that this story has bedazzled a lot of folks.

It is pretty neat to watch...

And a wonderful job of flying to boot!





I went to class this evening, and I was supposed to have class again all day tomorrow.

But it has been cancelled...

Due to the winter storm warning that has been issued.


I hope that you guys have a nice week-end...

And can locate your old pair of ice skates...


Me...

Well, I'll be inside.


Dreaming of warmer days and weather that I am more accustomed to...

Like thunderstorms and tornadoes.


later...

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

WOW! All that ice!

And what a wonderful rescue - that poor little Dear, it's legs must have been frozen!

Happy ending - I love happy endings!

We had storms here during the week - 9 people died from walls falling down on top of them, and other freak accidents. How very sad and, it seems to me, quite pointless. Must be hard to accept it if it happened to a loved one.

It seems to have calmed down a bit now but snow is predicted for next week....

Have a nice warm weekend tucked up inside your home!

January 20, 2007 12:59 AM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

I'm done with winter.

just thought I'd throw that in ... I imagine it's already snowing where you are, they expect it here in the next hour or so.

January 20, 2007 6:35 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Sue...

I haven't been able to catch up on world news events, but I did catch a glimpse of a news story about those high winds you guys have been having. I hope that you and your family stays safe and that the weather calms down for you guys as well!


Hey Peggikaye...

So far it's just sleeting where I'm at. But the news station is reporting that the snow is moving in.

Right now, in central Oklahoma, the temperatures are hovering at around 32 degrees and there is a mixture of freezing rain and sleet and accumulation on the power lines, etc.

later...

January 20, 2007 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey T.J. seems everything ya'll get just rolls on over my way LOL which dosn't surprise me seeing as how were only bout ten hrs apart or so... Yep we got snow.. and lots of it *sigh*

Stay warm!!

January 20, 2007 6:39 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

I remember as a kid being able to ice skate once in a while on the streets before we had a good salt program to melt it. Lots of nice memories.
That deer video is amazing! I did not see that on the national news. Poor deer. Who would've thought a helicopter propeller wind would save him. I love happy endings.
Your last line made me laugh out loud! Here's to thunderstorms and tornadoes! :)

January 21, 2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby...

We missed a bad storm by a couple of degrees.

It rained and rained and rained on Saturday and then started to freeze on the trees and power lines. Thankfully it switched to snow and didn't snow much at that. So there weren't any major problems here.


Hey Pattie...

*cheers*


later...

January 21, 2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

We got rain ... it snowed for about 2 hours Saturday evening, and then rained ... and rained and rained ....
It got up to almost 50 on Sunday ...
Until sundown today, it was over freezing for 48 hours ...and we had all that rain ...

we are still covered in ice on places that have not been specifically cleared! Hard to believe Oklahoma could get that much ice!

January 22, 2007 10:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm hope you are bearing the cold! In answer to your question:

Yes. I've seen internet videos of folks using whitewater kayaks as sleds. Recreational kayaks like ours wouldn't be ideal due to the length...whitewater kayaks are a few feet shorter.
Here's a link if you would like to see for yourself:
http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/scrapster/snowkayaking.html

Be sure to leave a blog posting decribing your adventure if you try this...as for myself I'm biding my time tell my son decides to do it and then hopefully I can film it. I'm too old for that stuff!

February 03, 2007 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home