< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Gone Huntin'...



For the last two summers I have had the opportunity to see a passing hummingbird or two zoom through my yard.

I kept telling myself that I would get a feeder so that I could attract the little speedsters to my back yard.

Well, I finally broke down and picked up a hummingbird feeder at the Dollar General Store over the week-end. It was $2.50 and hopefully it will last the entire summer season.

It's been out now for almost a week. And I keep waiting and watching for a hummingbird.

But I haven't seen one yet.


It's getting a little frustrating.


Maybe I am expecting to have the following of hummers that my Mom has. She has so many hummingbirds in her yard that they consume almost 1/2 gallon of sugar water every two or three days.

Can you believe that?


Mom must have hundreds of hummingbirds come to her yard.


Or maybe I'm remembering the days when I was a kid and used to play in the water. I remember my clothes being wet and the colors turning real dark from the water. Hummingbirds would "buzz" me thinking that I was a flower or something. I remember one day when I was wearing red shorts. A hummingbird came up to me and I sat really still. He actually stuck his tongue on my water soaked shorts and then...

I "nabbed" him.

Yes. I have captured a hummingbird with my bare hands before.

The little birds are aggressive too and have turf wars over the feeders.

They fight and dive bomb each other all the time. Sometimes one of the birds will get knocked out of the air from the force of the attack. If a little hummingbird falls to the ground and lands in the grass they'll die. Because their legs are short and they can't get enough lift to take off from the ground.


I remember my grandmother, Mamma, having a hummingbird feeder on her front porch. It was great to be so close to the action.

One summer there was a hummingbird that was very aggressive. He would sit in the vine on the side of the porch and guard the feeder. He wouldn't let any other hummingbirds drink any of the sugar water.

I can't remember how long this went on for, but one day my grandfather, Pappa, had had enough of it. He had swung his hat at that bird, yelled at it, and who knows what else. But nothing he did had any effect on it. That bird was not giving up his territory. Pappa had labeled it "mean".

Then one day we heard this huge "BOOM". I thought...

"That sounds like a shotgun."


We all ran to the front porch and there was Pappa with the shotgun.

Lord, what dangerous creature had come so close to the house?


Not being able to immediately visualize a ~carcass~...

We asked Pappa what it was that he had shot. He said that he had shot "That Mean Hummingbird".


Us kids looked for the remains of the hummingbird, but there wasn't much left to be found.


We learned that day what was meant by the saying...

"Blown to Smithereens".


later...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

You were charged $2.50 at the dollar store? Something does not seem right here.

I hope you get lots of visitors at your feeder. As soon as one finds it, he will tell his friends...as long as he is not a "Mean Hummingbird".

May 04, 2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Lea...

Yep. Maybe it should be called the "Double Dollar Store". Or something like that.

I hope I get at least two or three.

I really enjoy watching them.

later...

May 04, 2007 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there neat to watch.. hope you get some...

May 04, 2007 10:59 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

I am not sure whether to laugh or be grossed out by that story...*LOL* I think I'll laugh....no disrespect to the poor dead little guy.
We had a feeder at our house, too. I also planted lots of red and purple geraniums, which they loved. We had three couples that would come around to visit. They were so cute! I am very impressed that you caught one with your bare hands ....Wow!

May 05, 2007 10:20 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby...

I do too!


Hey Pattie...

I'm glad you're laughing. I bought my first geranium ever this year. I put it in a pot not very far from the feeder. I didn't know that hummingbirds liked them.

Maybe it will help!

later...

May 05, 2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Sicilian said...

TJ. . . . LOL. . . . I have seen some mean hummers too. I have not fed them with a feeder for a few years, but try to plant flowers that they enjoy. Your story makes me want to get the feeder out.
Ciao

May 07, 2007 3:07 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Sicilian...

Glad I'm not the only one who has seen one!

later...

May 08, 2007 9:15 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Lovely funny story!

Never seen a hummingbird (to my knowledge) - how sad is that?!

I shall keep my eyes peeled this summer.

Sue

May 09, 2007 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home