< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Final Grades...

The grade for my last class was posted today.

And my "unofficial" GPA as well.


I have completed all my requirements for my bachelor of science degree in management.


GPA: 3.948


Returning to school was my approach to physical therapy for my brain.


You may remember that I had a rather large tumor removed (although they weren't able to get all of it) on November 6, 2003.

It was a very, very long surgery.


When I awoke I wasn't the same.


I couldn't see well or focus. I had memory problems and other difficulties.


Plus, the left side of my face was paralyzed.

I am also totally deaf in my left ear, but I knew that was going to happen before the surgery.


A friend of mine who had suffered from hypoxia several years prior had told me that she worked word puzzles on the internet and that it seemed to help her quite a bit.


I started playing the online games on Yahoo. Games like Literati and Spades.

Stuff where you had to use words and your memory.


I found that it helped me out quite a bit.


The physical therapy prescribed by the surgeons didn't really help me out that much.


Sure... it was supposed to improve my balance and all that, especially since they had removed everything that was associated with my left ear, including my cochlea.


But my balance issues weren't that big of a concern to me.

Neither is walking in the dark, which is something that I still can't do.

And probably will never be able to do either.


My concerns were about who I was internally.

It was about my mind.


Encouraged by the improvement I experienced with the games, I started looking at returning to school.

You know...

Make those synapses work really hard.

Put some stress on them...

Like a dumb bell does your biceps.


While I still am not 100%, I have found that I am a whole lot better off mentally.


In fact, I even surprised myself today by remembering a number that I had seen only once earlier this morning.

For most of you this may not be a big accomplishment...

But for someone who can't find their car in the grocery store parking lot after 20 minutes of shopping...

This is a big deal.


So...

I am proud to say that I have completed 2 1/2 years of college that, when added to credits from my previously earned associate's degree...

Gives me a BS...


*WOO HOO*


I was able to set a goal and accomplish it...


A challenge that I wasn't sure that I would be able to meet.


And actually, that is my biggest achievement...




later...

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congradulations!! how very exciting!! your amazing im so happy that you did so well in school... it takes alot to go through it no matter who you are. to have done it with additional challenges is even more of an accomplishment!!

August 03, 2007 10:08 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby...

Thanks! And yes, it is very exciting for me!

later...

August 03, 2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Hi TJ, Well done! I am so very pleased for you :-)

August 05, 2007 2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow T.J.,

I had no idea about your situation. Well congratulations on completing your degree. That is huge. I am so happy for you and thanks for including us into your story.

Paul

August 05, 2007 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

So when do we get to throw you a big party?

Wow... you are awesome!

I am so inspired by your story.

Thank you for sharing it!

August 05, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

I am proud of you!!! That is quite a long way to go. I am glad you had the determination to stick it out in spite of all the trials and roadblocks before you.
Congratulations on a job well done :)

August 06, 2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

Congratulations to you! What an amazing accomplishment and for you to do it after having brain surgery is absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

August 08, 2007 12:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job!
Congratulations on bringing home the BS.

August 09, 2007 6:03 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey guys!

Thanks for the "kudos". I really appreciate it!

later...

August 09, 2007 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home