< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Farewell Guys... It's Been Real...

Near Earth Asteroid (NEA) 2004 XP14 is expected on Monday.

There is a debate on how large this asteroid is, whether it is only 1/4 of a mile wide or 1/2 of a mile wide. Either way, this thing is moving at a rate of 11 miles per second which is the equivalent of 4000 mph.

Scientists say that we aren't in any danger of being hit by 2004 XP14. But the terms NEA and PHA (Potentially Hazardous Asteroid) seem to be interchangeable with these guys.

We had a PHA pass by earlier this year.


I guess that these things are a real danger to earth since Congress has initiated a NASA program to protect the United States:

"The U.S. Congress has declared that the general welfare and security of the United States require that the unique competence of NASA be directed to detecting, tracking, cataloging, and characterizing near-Earth asteroids and comets in order to provide warning and mitigation of the potential hazard of such near-Earth objects to the Earth.

The NASA Administrator shall plan, develop, and implement a Near-Earth Object Survey program to detect, track, catalogue, and characterize the physical characteristics of near-Earth objects equal to or greater than 140 meters in diameter in order to assess the threat of such near-Earth objects to the Earth. It shall be the goal of the survey program to achieve 90 percent completion of its Near-Earth Object catalogue (based on statistically predicted populations of near-Earth objects) within 15 years after the date of enactment of this Act."


I didn't realize it, but earth had a near death experience in 2002:

An asteroid that could pulverize a country zipped close by the Earth on Monday, only weeks after astronomers first noticed the big space boulder heading in our direction.



There are a whole bunch of these things headed our way on a regular basis, and NASA still hasn't found them all. But the ones that they have located are named, and they have dates of our expected encounters with them too.


With nature being as unpredictable lately as a short-circuited two year old, I just don't know how much trust I can put in these scientists and their calculations.

I don't know any of these guys personally, and I certainly don't have any idea of what kind of work ethics they have either.

They're a bunch of government employees, if you know what I mean.


Wouldn't asteroids, NEA's and PHA's, be considered a part of nature?


The scientists are also supposed to be figuring out how to deal with a dangerous asteroid. You know...

Change their course, or destroy them.

Aren't we supposed to let nature alone and let it travel its own course?


What would the long term ramifications be if we interfered with this natural event?


Whatever they may be...

I'm sure we'll be sorry.



And we have all of this trouble with global warming and such...

What if the earth's damaged atmosphere messes up all that fancy delicate scientific equipment that they have?

I mean, it's possible they could make an "honest" mistake, right?


What if we have a huge volcano erupt between now and Monday, and the volcano is so violent that it changes our orbit just enough to place us in the path of this monstrous asteroid?

Volcanoes are already the largest contributors to our global warming difficulties.


But the biggest problem I think we face is something that is greater than all of these. Something that we can't put any numbers or calculations to.

Something that we absolutely cannot predict...


What if Allah wills it here?


If that happens...

Well...


We're just screwed.


later...



Huge asteroid to fly past Earth

Asteroid to make close approach to Earth Monday

Near Earth Object Program

What is the difference between a meteor, a meteoroid, a meteorite, an asteroid and a comet?

Press Report: ASTEROID DEFENSE: NASA TO FORMULATE PLANETARY PROTECTION PLAN

7 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

TJ: Surely it's only a matter of time......

June 30, 2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Sue...

Knowing that all of these asteroids are out there traveling at unfathomable speeds kind of makes you wonder if they will be part of fulfilling the prophecies found in the book of Revelation in the Bible.

John, who saw the visions, makes vivid descriptions with minimal astronomical knowledge that was available during that period of time.

It is quite possible, that what he was describing could have been such an astronomical event.

The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down upon the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up. Revelation 8:7 (NIV)

I can see the possibility of one rather large asteroid, hitting the earth's atmosphere at such an angle that would make it shatter, could create such an event.

Makes me glad that I have already made my *reservations* for Heaven.

:+)

later...

July 01, 2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger shade said...

wow... hmmm. gotta think on that one... by the way i may be MIA for a bit as I am having problems with my puter and blogger... don't know why and it's driving me batty, i had to come over to my sis house to visit today, anywho didn't want you to think i was being rude...later

July 01, 2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to trust in God.

Whether it be because of an Astroid coming toward the earth ... what will happen ...or worrying if man will do something totally idiotic ...

if I didn't now that God had me in his hand ... ultimately, I can't imagine what it would be like.

I remember September 11, 2001 and a friend who didn't believe, and the fear she experienced ... and being so grateful that I knew that whatever was happening, I knew my Father had me.

But let's do hope people get smart and realize God does know what he's doing and not try to second guess him.

July 01, 2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby...

I really do hope that you get your computer up and running. It really is a frustrating thing to deal with.

It's the same feeling as when you don't have a car. You seem to feel a loss of control over your life.

I would never dream that you were rude. You're too sweet.

Hey Peggikaye...

I know exactly what you mean. "The peace that passes all understanding" is hard to understand when you read it. Only after you experience it do you really know what it means.

I do not live in fear, but I know that many people do.

I wish for the same things that you do...

later...

July 01, 2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Dr. A said...

I think I heard Algore talk about this in his movie (yeah right!).

I can just see the 24/7 news coverage on this deal. "Yep, we're out here covering the failed shuttle program. Did you know that NASA has also failed to prepare the country for Monday's NEA/PHA event. Back to you."

Great blog. I'll add you to my list as well.

July 01, 2006 9:42 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Dr. A...

It isn't NASA's fault...

It's Bush's.

Thanks for the compliment!

And the link!

later...

July 02, 2006 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home