< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Melting My Mind...


The birds visiting my yard are walking around with their beaks open, panting.

It isn't even noon yet.

Yesterday's temperatures felt extremely oppressive to me. I think the humidity was a little on the high side too.

The weatherman has pretty much guaranteed that we will be in the 100's for the next seven days.

Again.


One day last week I got in my car after work to discover a *wet spot* on the passenger seat. I usually keep at least one water of bottle in the car at all times.

When I saw "the wet spot" I thought to myself, "Dang. I didn't screw the lid on tight enough."

But to my dismay, what I discovered was a hardened substance on the seat cover of my "newer vehicle".

Having a scientific type of mindset, I automatically began to try to figure out what had happened.



Upon inspection of my water bottle, I surmised that the glue that held the label onto the water bottle had liquified during the day from the build-up of heat from inside of my car.

Even though I had put up the windshield barrier to block the sun's rays, it had to have gotten extremely warm to have melted the glue on the water bottle.

How hot did it get inside of my car!?

I found a source that states that the air temperature inside of a car can reach 120 to 140 degrees in a matter of minutes.

And it doesn't have to be that warm outside for it to reach those temperatures either.

My source also states:

...according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 'a locked car sitting in the summer sun quickly turns into an oven,' and 'temperatures can climb from 78 degrees to 100 degrees in just three minutes, to 125 degrees in 6-8 minutes.'


So I wonder what the peak temperature is on the inside of a car, sitting in the Oklahoma sun for several hours, with an outside air temperature of 103 degrees Fahrenheit?

If it can reach 125 degrees Fahrenheit in just a few minutes, then nobody should be leaving any child or pet inside of a parked car for any length of time, period.

We see a lot of pets at work who have succumbed to heat stroke in their backyards; much less after having been left in a vehicle.

Coming in with core body temperatures well over 108 degrees, many of them do not survive due to brain damage and multiple organ failure.

You hear a lot of news reports about children dying in hot cars. Some of them have died while it was only 80 degrees outside.

How distressing.




Thank goodness I had a seatcover protecting the seat of my car.

I don't really have the extra funds right now to go and buy another seat cover to replace this one. School is starting soon for the kids and me, so I have plenty of other things to spend my money on right about now.

I might try and see if I can remove the glue from the cover.

I was wondering if acetone/polish remover would do the trick.

Any suggestions?

later...



**Here are some helpful articles about the prevention and treatment of heat stroke and heat exhaustion.


Heat Exhaustion and Heatstroke: What You Should Know

Management of Heatstroke and Heat Exhaustion

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good story. Man I live in Oklahoma City as well and it is very warm. Getting over 100 degrees is not uncommon in Oklahoma but it this year it seems to be holding on for a while. We seem to get humidity but no rain. My lawn is completely dead. I heard the other day that Governer Henry reinstated the burn ban. I am sure you heard about the massive fire on the North side last week that burned 120 acres near the TV stations. I can't even imagine being stuck in the car. If I am not mistaken, you can be charged with a crime for even leaving a pet in the car. Obviously it is a crime for kids. Lets pray for cooler temperatures and some rain. If you look at the National Weather Service page they have a graphic showing how many days over 100 degrees this year. We have already broken 2003, 2004, 2005, and one more day we will tie 2001. I have no doubt we will surpass 2000 that was 32 days. Here is the link... http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/enhancedwx/fxc_Weather_Story.jpg
Thanks again for the informative story.

Paul

August 06, 2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Paul...

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Yes, Governor Henry did reinstate the burn ban. I watched the news coverage on that fire too. It got really close to some over there.

We seem to cycle with the 100+ temperatures here in Oklahoma. When we have wet years it doesn't seem to get as hot. But when there's a drought, that same weather pattern seems to just *bake us*!

later...

August 06, 2006 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*melting* with you
goodness it's hot...
sorry i been MIA lots of studying this week.. and for somereason wehn i comment on your blog it gives me a hard time... grrr
wow that must have been hot in your car!!!

August 06, 2006 8:52 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Sorry Wolfbaby...

Blogger has been giving me fits lately too.

Really irritating.

I hope school is going well for you.

I understand the MIA status during school!

I wish you the best in your studies.

later...

August 06, 2006 9:33 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

TJ: I have never heard of the glue melting like that...wow, that is pretty hot.

I would certainly hope that people have enough common sense not to leave a pet or a child in a hot car....then again,I guess there are those who lack common sense! :0

You know, I wonder if "Hints from Heloise" might have a website to give you suggestions how you might remove that glue from your seat cover? Or perhaps there is a site out there with that information? just a thought...

August 07, 2006 5:53 AM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

one word :sigh

August 07, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Pattie...

Good idea! I'll see what I can find.


Hey Peggikaye...

I know you're miserable in your house. 105 degrees here yesterday.

*double sigh*

Did you get any of last evening's rain up there?

Hopefully you didn't get any of the wind damage.

Praying for you.


Hey Mary Anne...

I really do have a life outside of housecleaning....

*laugh*

Your energy level is amazing to me, fast or not.

Sounds like you're having fun with your kids too!

later...

August 07, 2006 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home