< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Gone Huntin' II...



Some of you may remember when I put my hummingbird feeder out late this spring. It was in the first week of May.



Every day, I would wait and watch for any sign of a hummingbird. But the only thing visiting my feeder was a butterfly or two...

And a few wasps.



I would pour the old sugar water out and refill it with a freshly made batch of the sweet liquid.

And then wait some more.



Two weeks ago I saw my first hummingbird come to my feeder. My visitors have increased from the lonely one to about five.

This evening I sat down with the camera and was able to capture a few of the little guys.



I had plenty of time to wonder why it took them so long to find my feeder. Then I got to thinking that maybe that it was time for them to start migrating south.

And these guys are just passing through.

If that's the case, I hope that they stay for a while before they move on.

The Oklahoma Wildlife Department says to hang the feeders from April 1st until November 1st which is very encouraging.

Although I can't say that I have ever seen a hummingbird that late in the year.




These are my first attempts at taking pictures of hummingbirds. It was quite a challenge to say the least.

Something that I will need to practice.

All in all I am happy with these snapshots. I just wish that my ruby-throated hummingbird had seen fit to visit me this evening.

Maybe he will come by the next time I get a quiet moment with my camera.

later...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

They're great pictures! We have just put out a new bird feeder pole with hanging planters, bath, etc off it. We haven't had any visitors yet, though.

August 11, 2007 7:54 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Sue...

Thanks!

I have three regular seed feeders in my yard and I really enjoy the activity that they bring.

I'm sure that you will develop quite a following as well.

There's a couple of Downy Woodpeckers that come to visit and they're fun to watch. They hang upside down from the feeder when they get their seed.

Do you guys have woodpeckers over there?

August 11, 2007 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's amazing that you got such good shots those little guys move so fast!!

August 13, 2007 11:13 AM  
Blogger Lea said...

Great shots, TJ! It ain't easy to catch them still and you did a nice job!

August 13, 2007 11:18 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby and Lea...

Thanks for the compliments guys!

And yes... these guys just "zoom" everywhere!

They're a lot of fun to watch.

later...

August 13, 2007 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home