< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Today's Mailbag...



Every once in a while I receive a forwarded e-mail that is worthy of a second look.

This particular e-mail hooked me because it touches on one of the greatest dangers our children can face.

Drowning is the second leading cause of accidental-injury related death among children ages 1 to 14 and the leading cause of accidental-injury related death among children ages 1 to 4


The e-mail had a link to this compelling video which is provided by the folks at Infant Swimming Resource.

Over half of the children between the ages of 1 to 4 who die from drowning do so in a swimming pool. And many of these deaths occur at their own homes.

I have always felt that in order to help protect my children that it was imperative to teach my children how to swim.

However, this swimming program takes it to the next level... survival.


What a great e-mail to forward.


later...

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks T.J.!

I sent that on to my brother with a toddler and a baby on the way.

That video had me crying. It is terrifying to think about, especially in light of the young man that died at Lake Overholser this week.

Thanks again.

August 24, 2007 3:00 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Shelly...

Sure... You're welcome.

I thought about that 17 year old that drowned as well. What a tragedy.

later...

August 24, 2007 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok baby in the water freaked me out big time... seriously!!! had my heart aching. even though i know someone had to have been right there... i would love to do this with my kids.

have a good one.

August 24, 2007 12:52 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Wolfbaby...

It does make you "crazy" watching it. Especially when the baby starts crying.

Have a great week-end.

later...

August 24, 2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Whenever we come across an email that is worthy of saving a life I say yes pass it along..friendly reminders never hurt anyone and could save a life....thanks for dropping by my blog and I appreciate your comments....I recognize professors et al deserve their salaries...it's not that ...I just get frustrated at all the hoops you have to jump through to get to your goal....but I guess if you want it you will be willing to do it....cheers...

August 24, 2007 5:25 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I truly do understand your frustrations.

I for one am not fond of red tape at all either.

later...

August 24, 2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

Pool safety is one of my passionate subjects. I had a cousin who drowned when I was about 4.

My aunt went to take a shower while her 3 children, 3 and under slept. When she got out of the shower, Jimmy was in the backyard pool, dead.

Jimmy, had never gone to sleep, but rather, waited till his Mamma got into the shower, then snuck out to the pool ... unfenced and went swimming by himself.

This was back in 1968 ..and we didn't know all the things about pool safety we do now ... unfortunately .. it's the Jimmy's that have taught us ...the hard way.

August 24, 2007 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home