< dogscatskidslife, TJ Morgan, veterinary technician, veterinary medicine, consumer, activist, day to day real life events, writer, stories, photographs, photographer, CafePress.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

It Happened About This Time Last Year...



I've been blogging just over a year now and it seems that I am already beginning to repeat myself.

Yesterday, I post about those darn tree rats whom I had complained about last year in September.

Today...

It's about "Giant Mysterious Mushrooms".

I blogged last year about a huge mushroom that I had found at my neighbor Sue's.

This evening, Sue calls and asks if my "camera is handy". The first thing that pops into my mind is:

Of course it is. I'm a blogger aren't I?


*ahem*


Anyway, Sue's camera batteries were non-operational and her granddaughter had run across some unusual mushrooms. And Sue wanted some pictures of them.

Excited at the opportunity for a "photo op", I grabbed my yardstick and my camera and was across the street in less than two minutes.

I was looking for any excuse to get a break from my schoolwork too.


This particular mushroom was BIGGER than last year's!










*Wow*

There were several other mushrooms of the same genre, but they weren't as big.




And here's a neat one...



This mushroom is shaped like a heart...

With right atrial enlargement.

*cough*


Mushrooms really seem to fascinate me.

How they are able to grow from a microscopic spore into something so large almost overnight is amazing to me.


Here's another post from last year with pictures of unusual mushrooms that I found in my yard.

I have discovered that I have seven different types of mushrooms that appear in my lawn.

I have yet to get names for any of them though.

It is possible that there are other varieties in my yard that I have missed seeing. It would be really neat if I discovered some more.

They are all quite interesting, with some actually being beautiful.

Thanks for giving me a "holler" Sue.

It was very enjoyable!

later...

9 Comments:

Blogger Sicilian said...

TJ. . . . I do believe all that rain you Okies are getting has created some monster mushrooms. . . I sure do wish you would share some of that moisture. . .
Ciao

September 07, 2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Hey TJ.....

Those are some wild mushrooms. Living in a semi rainforest here on the island I have seen some pretty wild mushrooms, but that one takes the cake.

I linked to your post last year and the mushrooms, the mushroom that looks something like a flower, I have seen that grow wild here as well. Now you have piqued my curiosity and I must find it's name on the web...when I do...I'll let you know.

Hope you have a terrific day, which is full of sunshine and happiness......

Cheers........

September 08, 2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we had some big mushrooms take over our yard as well.. where do they come from really.. gesh...

September 08, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

This reminds me so much of my Uncle Tony, my maternal grandmother's brother. He was the family "mushroom expert"....he would come over to my parents house and id different mushrooms, and tell us whether they were edible or not. We had lots of fresh mushrooms wih our dinner on many nights.....and surprisingly, never got sick from them! I guess he knew what he was talking about.

September 08, 2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Sicilian...

I will start praying 'harder' for you!


Hey MaryAnne...

How are you feeling?!

It would be great if you could get the name of that particular mushroom. So far, it's my favorite.


Hey Wolfbaby...

They're just there... in the environment... waiting for the right conditions to occur.


Hey Pattie...

How neat!

I have always been fascinated with the prospect of eating wild mushrooms. But I have never had any training, nor do I know enough about the different varieties.

After I read about the "Death Angel" mushroom...

I decided to give it up!

later...

September 08, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

great mushrooms - good to be 2996 tributing with you

September 08, 2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey David...

Same here!

later...

September 08, 2006 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the photos, that looks like a pigskin puffball mushroom ... they can get really big. The surface isn't always quite that mottled looking.

The way you can tell the pigskin from the edible puffball varieties is that the inside flesh is always blackish/purple ... while the regular, edible puffs are a creamy white when they're at their best.

My chef son and I enjoy picking mushrooms and doing spore prints for identification ... and trying new flavors. Some are excellent.

Great post and photos!

September 10, 2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Hey Moof...

Thanks for the link.

While these mushrooms don't exactly resemble the ones in your photo, your description more than fits.

They are black on the inside and COMPLETELY full of spores! The only thing containing the spores is the thin outer skin.

YUK!!

later...

September 10, 2006 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home